Spindle vs Zenhaven Mattress
Spindle Natural Latex Mattress
Natural Latex Mattress
- Pressure relieving, body contouring support
- Natural Latex sleeps cooler than memory foam
- No chemical off gassing. CertiPUR certified
- Natural materials are great for allergy sufferers
- 365 night comfort trial
We compared these two mattress models to help you decide which is right for you. These mattresses have their distinct differences and similarities. This guide will help walk you through their construction, comfort feel, what we liked and what we didn’t like about each bed.
While the differences are subtle, each mattress has unique qualities that are worth noting.
|Spindle Natural Latex Mattress||Natural Latex Mattress||$1,299.99||Free||365 days||10 years||92|
|Zenhaven||Natural Latex||$1,899||Free White Glove||120 days||20 years||93|
We rated these mattresses comfort feels on a scale of 1-10, 1 being the softest and 10 being the firmest.
Spindle Natural Latex Mattress Comfort Scale
- 8Medium Firm
- 9Extra Firm
Zenhaven Comfort Scale
- 4Luxury Plush
- 7Gentle Firm
Spindle Natural Latex Mattress Construction
Spindle takes an environmentally responsible approach. Although the company modestly downplays the “green” aspect, Spindle’s natural latex mattress certainly has enough talking points to satisfy even the most stringent environmentalist.
This ten inch mattress consists of three, 3” layers of Oeko-Tex 100, Class 1 certified Continuous Pour Natural Dunlop Latex. Natural latex is buoyant and resilient. It creates a sensation of floating on top of the mattress. It sleeps cool and has absolutely no off gassing issues. You might pick up a very mild, but not unpleasant natural scent. It’s been sometimes compared to the aroma of almonds. This odor quickly dissipates and emits no dangerous toxins into the air.
Natural latex layers
Natural latex will have imperfections. No two pieces will look exactly the same and small blemishes or tears will not affect the mattress performance or longevity.
Wool is a natural heat regulator. It keeps you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. It all happens due to wool’s natural ability to wick away moisture and moderate temperature. On a cold night, wool pulls water vapor from the air keeping you warm. The opposite happens on a warm evening. The moisture absorbed in the fibers circulates back into the air; keeping you cool. These same unique qualities allow sheep to survive drastic climate changes. Wool also creates a natural fire barrier. Spindle uses no chemical fire retardants. Natural Wool Batting is obtained from sheep raised according to Pacific Northwest Eco-Wool standards.
Spindle Mattress cover
Organic Cotton is a healthier alternative to synthetic fabric. Cotton used in Spindle’s mattress cover is grown without pesticides, pigments or bleach. The elasticity of the circular knit fabric allows for greater freedom of movement and complements the naturally buoyancy of the Latex.
Organic cotton is soft and comfortable but, also exceptionally durable. Unlike synthetic fibers, cotton absorbs moisture and breathes easily. This allows you to sleep cool and comfortable all night long.
Whenever possible, cotton is purchased from US sources; typically, Texas and New Mexico. Final fabric is woven to Spindle’s specifications in South Carolina.
Latex mattresses have limited availability
Spindle sees the relative lack of exposure latex has received thus far as a huge growth opportunity. Unlike memory foam, which is petroleum based foam, natural latex, is manufactured from the sap of the rubber tree and responds to your body in an entirely different way. it’s not Spindle’s goal to discredit the merits of its competition. However, Van Patten does view it as an opportunity to tout the virtues of the Spindle mattress. Natural latex is far more buoyant, less heat retentive and does not have the off gassing issues associated with memory foam. Latex also offers exceptional pressure relief and conformity while keeping your body in proper alignment; creating a sensation of floating on top of the mattress. Memory foam conversely, is slower to react and respond allowing your body to be absorbed into the bed. You sleep on a Latex Mattress; you sleep in a memory foam bed.
Spindle Natural Latex Mattress
Natural Latex Mattress
The Cover – Zenhaven’s cover is a combination of organic cotton and 100% Joma Wool. The cotton provides a soft, breathable sleep surface that’s cool and comfortable. Joma Wool is a natural heat regulator that draws heat away from your body while you sleep. This same quality cover is on both sides of the mattress. It’s an added feature that assures consistency, regardless of comfort preference.
Although rare, there is a small percentage of the population that have wool allergies.
The certified organic wool in the Zenhaven mattress is free of the allergen, Lanolin. Lanolin is a natural grease in wool that once removed, makes the Zenhaven mattress safe for use.
Top Layer – The top layer consists of a 1.5″ of Talalay latex. This layer is constructed with a 5 zone comfort layer that provides support where you need it most. This layer acts is the top of the plush side of the mattress.
Second Layer – This 3″ layer of Talalay latex is designed for support and pressure relief. The addition of this layer allows for more body hug and conformity.
Third layer – The third 3″ layer of Talalay latex is a bit firmer and serves a dual purpose. It acts as a transition from the softer first two layers when the top layer (plush side) is facing up. When the bottom (firm side) is up, this layer adds additional structure and support.
Fourth layer – The fourth layer serves as the top of the firm side. This layer adds 1.5″ more of firmer Talalay latex that offers less body hug and softness. It also acts as the base for the plush side.
Why Talalay Latex?
Talalay vs. Dunlop is a much talked about and debated topic. Both natural Dunlop and natural Talalay start by mixing rubber tree sap in a centrifuge. The Dunlop process allows natural sediments to settle before being baked. This results in individual layers having various firmness levels. The Talalay process begins the same way, but after the sap is mixed, it is vacuum-sealed and flash-frozen before being baked. This stabilizes the cell structure and ensures better consistency of the foam. Talalay is slightly softer than Dunlop. It also has a bit more bounce and responsive feel.
Although “natural” latex starts with 100% natural rubber tree sap, no final latex product is 100% natural. A small percentage of chemical additives are included in the mix to aid in the vulcanization process. A mattress must contain no more than 5% of these compounds to be considered “natural”. Zenhaven qualifies as a natural latex mattress.
Add An Adjustable Base
The Lineal™ Adjustable Base by Saatva is compatible with the Zenhaven mattress.
Do you and your sleep partner want individual adjustability?
Combine 2 Twin XL mattresses and adjustable bases for side by side individual adjustability. See additional information and pricing.
We scored these mattresses over a variety of important factors to be considered when purchasing a new bed. All scores are a numerical value out of 100.
|Rating||Spindle Natural Latex Mattress||Zenhaven|
|Ease of Movement||100||90|
Spindle Natural Latex Mattress Pros and Cons
- Natural latex offers great body alignment while alleviating pressure points that can cause pain.
- Great value: Spindle's Natural Latex mattress is half the price of what you can expect to pay in a retail store.
- Sleeps cool: While all foams have the potential to retain a certain amount of heat, natural latex sleeps cooler than synthetic materials like memory foam.
- No off gassing: The Spindle mattress is made from natural materials and emits no toxic chemicals. Wool creates a natural fire barrier. No chemical fire retardants are used.
- Pressure relief: Spindle’s natural latex provides pressure relieving contouring and conformity.
- Great for sex: Unlike memory foam, you sleep on latex, not in it. Spindle's buoyant, resilient feel creates great ease of movement.
- Assembly is required for both the mattress and the foundation. This is a fair trade off for the lower than average price point.
- No White Glove in home delivery service offered. The Spindle mattress is quite heavy. Most people will require two sets of hands to bring into the house. Setup, although not difficult, takes more time than most competitive mattresses.
- May be too firm for some sleepers. This is particularity true if you already know you are most comfortable on super soft mattresses.
- Not recommended if you have latex or wool allergies. We do acknowledge latex allergies are contact in nature and should pose no danger. However, we feel there are far too many other options available to take that chance.
- Not recommended for very large body types. Spindle performs best for individuals under 270 lbs.
Spindle Natural Latex Mattress
Natural Latex Mattress
Zenhaven Pros and Cons
- Pressure relief: Natural Latex relieves pressure and sleeps cool. It also has no off-gassing issues.
- Low motion transference: Natural latex has low motion transference. This is ideal for couples who don't want to disturb each other's sleep.
- Sleeps cool: Natural latex retains far less heat than synthetic materials like memory foam. Organic Cotton and Natural Joma wool cover is breathable and sleeps cool.
- Sustainability: Zenhaven uses natural, sustainable materials that reduce our carbon footprint.
- A healthy alternative: Natural Talalay latex is hypoallergenic and antimicrobial. It's ideal for allergy sufferers.
- Great value: Zenhaven is priced far less than comparable Talalay latex mattresses.
- Latex allergies: Although this is typically considered a contact allergy, we recommend choosing another alternative if you have a known allergy.
- If you prefer the feel of memory foam: If you enjoy more of a sink in feel, you may not like the bounce of latex.
- Delivery delays: While Zenhaven's overall service record has been excellent, A small number of delivery delays have been reported.
Spindle Natural Latex Mattress Pricing
|Twin||38" x 75"|
|Twin XL||38" x 80"|
|Full||54" x 75"|
|Queen||60" x 80"|
|King||76" x 80"|
|Cal King (not available)||N/A||N/A|
|Twin||38" x 75"||$1,299|
|Twin XL||38" x 80"||$1,349|
|Full||54" x 75"||$1,699|
|Queen||60" x 80"||$1,899|
|King||76" x 80"||$2,499|
|Cal King||72" x 84"||$2,499|
|Split King||38" x 80"||$2,698|